There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Friday, May 18, 2007

Red Letter Day - almost an American



I got this letter today which, I think, means I can stay here forever, if I want to, and apply to be an American citizen in five years time. The letter says I'll have a Green Card in a maximum of 90 days. I always thought getting a green card would be difficult. I remember that film called, not surprisingly - "Green Card" with Gérard Depardieu. I must watch it one day. But I think Gérard had terrible trouble getting his in the movie. John Lennon had a right hassle too. Mine was so easy - maybe I just had good advice. Sun pays for some expensive law firms who guide employees through this sort of thing.

If someone told me before December 2004, which is when Sun made the offer to have me come out here, that I would be an American one day, I would have thought that was one of the strangest things I had ever heard. I maybe will never be an American. I don't have a burning desire to be one, but I think it makes sense to be a citizen of the country where I live. Anyway - a red letter day in some senses. Pity this letter is not red!

2 comments:

magnusmog said...

Is that an official seal in the middle of the letter or did you spill coffee on it?

Do you know that there is going to be a John Lennon festival in Durness?!

Tom said...

Its my seal of approval. A John Lennon festival in Durness sounds great - I wonder if there is a website for it. I don't know what John Lennon thought of the North of Scotland. He and Yoko had a very bad car accident in 1969 near Tonge - which may seem like a bad thing, but it did mean John missed a lot of the Abbey Road sessions and managed not to play on one of McArtney's greatest crimes to music - "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.