There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Saturday, May 5, 2007

The end of Talk Cinema, we had a good time at Once


It was the last Talk Cinema of the season today. Despite the minor struggle of getting to the cinema in Palo Alto for 930am on a Saturday morning, it's been good. They do Talk Cinema at the Aquarius in Palo Alto, which is pictured above.

We have seen a wide variety of movies: Botat (wouldn't have gone to see it myself, but good in parts, bit over the top in other parts, Venus (good old Leslie Phillips, some of the Americans found the lingo difficult to understand), Painted Veil (beautifully shot, first twenty minutes were very boring, stuffy old English mannerisms, etc., but satisfying in the end, Toby Jones was great), Into Great Silence (why would ANYONE sit through a 2 hour 45 minute movie about a silent order of Monks, walked out of that one), Black Books (pretty bad, Paul Verhoven is too lightweight for the subject matter) and lastly and leastly, Miss Potter (please, please burn the negative. I love Bill Paterson, and Ewan McGregor went to the same college as me, but this was an utterly irredeemable piece of shit, I felt physically sick throughout most of this movie).

The movie today was GREAT. It is called "Once". It was made in Ireland and centers around the music and relationship of two musicians, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. These guys are real musicians and have a CD, The Swell Season, I just ordered it off Amazon.


It was a really moving story, beautiful music, and very well made. Seemingly, it was made on a shoestring, but I think it is all the better for that. A real antedote for Hollywood. No stars, musicians as actors, no predictable cliche story - great stuff, makes you glad to be alive.


Talk Cinema is called Talk Cinema, as you are able to share your views with others in the audience after. I couldn't shut up at this one, as it was set in Ireland and it was about music. At least I can talk at Talk Cinema about a movie I really liked, you can imagine the views I shared about Miss Potter!

We also went to the Chinese - yum. I fell asleep in the afternoon, when the replay of "A week in Westminster" was on my iBook, imagine that. I missed all the advice on the confusing election result in Scotland. And, not a completely good day, Rangers beat Celtic AGAIN, in the last old firm match of the season. That's the first time they have won two in a row for years.

More information on the various things I've been going on about can be found at -

The band the two stars of the movie today are in - www.myspace.com/theswellseason

The movie, highly recommended -
www.oncethemovie.com

Talk Cinema - www.talkcinema.com

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.