There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Friday, May 11, 2007

Rapidfrustration and new toy


I've been struggling away with Rapidweaver for a few weeks now. It's a web creation tool for Mac and it costs a princely $40! I had decided originally to run it on my favourite little iBook. But the tool does not seem designed to handle large web pages. The way it works, is that it just lumps all the components into one file. So all your MP3's JPEGS, HTML, etc. end up in one Rapidweaver file. I've got 400 gigs of webspace to play with now, but when you I go to save what is now a single 500Mb file, my poor little iBook would grind around for at least ten minutes, sometimes save the file, but sometimes the app would just crash before it saved all my new work.

Having chatted this issue through with one of those "geniuses" at the Apple Store in Santa Clara, he thought that RAM in the iBook was the issue. Sure enough, when you run the Activity Monitor when Rapideaver is saving, it shoots off the scale. So, I decided to up the RAM in my bigger iMac to a huge 2 gigs. This seemed to solve problem one, the huge long load times., but it hasn't solved problem 2, the crashes. This is really annoying, I thought the app was crashing because of the long save times, I thought the iMac was just giving up! But it seems that this is just something that Rapidweaver does. I'm investigating Dreamweaver, you maybe get what you pay for. Rapidweaver is $40, Dreamweaver is $400.

However, that's an idea for another day. Having struggled through multiple crashes, I've managed to do most of the updates to www.kirkcaldybands.com. I'm also hoping to get what there is on www.andrewcrescent.com up into cyberspace today. But I'm somewhat distracted by wanting to play with my new toy that's just been delivered, below.

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.