There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hey Ho Lets Go


Being jetlagged and lacking energy, I have sat in front of the iMac most of the evening and caught up on loads of DVDs. I watched a great documentary about the Ramones. I'm embarrassed to say I knew so little about this band, I can't imagine why they passed me by. I didn't know they were together so long. I also didn't realise that most of them had died recently. The above pic is of Dee Dee Ramone, bass player in the band. I thought he came over as such a nice, funny guy in the movie, then one of the final things in the movie is a caption to say he died in 2002.

It may be that it's because my first instrument was the bass guitar, but I always find I identify with bass players in bands. I think Arthur Kane's story is the saddest. The guy gets his dream come true of his band (The New York Dolls) reforming, then he dies a matter of weeks later, having only played one gig. Sad that the music we love has such a high death toll, the flipside of the rock 'n roll dream.

I also watched a BBC 4 documentary about Hawkwind. Lemmy's interviews were great, he is such a character, however did he fit in, in Hawkwind?

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.

Blog Archive