There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Back in Edinburgh


I'm back in my former home city of Edinburgh now.

This is one of my favourite views, it is the central Edinburgh taken from a little hill in the centre, Calton Hill. There is a great Victorian folly at the top of the hill, I think that they were trying to do some sort of Athenian thing there in the 19th century, Edinburgh was called the "Athens of the North" after all. It was sadly never finished, but there are some fine looking columns there that are visible all over central Edinburgh.



I've noticed that LRT (Lothian Regional Transport) are now putting slogans on the back of their buses, I wonder if this is helping reduce car miles driven in the city. The old purple buses were, to me, just a symbol of the city. But sparkly service, it seems unlikely. I was on a bus in Edinburgh yesterday, admittedly it was a "rival" green bus, and the service was as grumpy as ever. I used to think that LRT used to have a training course they put their drivers on to make sure they hit the road, having learnt how to be as unhelpful and grumpy as possible. I used to love the way they would deal with tourists. I thought they used to crank up their accents deliberately to be as un-understandable as possible.

I know it can't be an easy job, but I think the fact that there are never any bus bosses around when they are dealing with the public gives the drivers licence to deal with anyone as unpleasantly as they felt like. Or maybe the 44 is different, they only put the pleasant drivers on that one. My only ever UK lottery win was when I lived in Swindon and, partially as a sign of homesickness, I was using the Edinburgh bus numbers that I used to take to work as my lottery numbers. I think the 44 was in that list of numbers. So maybe not "service with a sparkle", but the 44 did help get me an unexpected lottery win once.

I'd love to know if the customer service on the buses has improved though.



I was in one of Edinburgh's many Macdonlalds yesterday, I don't think I've been in a Macdonalds for about three years, I was becoming suspicious of the burgers they were selling me.

Having asked what their vegetarian option was, I found out that it is really only one thing, it's called a "Vegetarian Melt", or something like that.

I think I'll leave it another three years before I go back. It was cheap right enough, but the "melt" was pretty horrible, soggy and nasty. I suppose you have to be a meat eater to appreciate Macdonalds, but it's pretty much a mystery to me why this chain is popular.



Spent a very enjoyable afternoon yesterday, digitising tapes for the Kirkcaldy bands website. It's amazing that these twenty year old tapes still play at all. I think the average recommended life of a cassette tape is meant to be 20 ish years, so I'm glad we are digitising these now.

I had "The Twist"and "The Ghost Train" on my iPod on my way to the pub last night. I'll upload them to the site when I get back to the US. It was great to hear some of this material again, especially the Ghost Train's - "Waiting for Madness", which I'm listening to over and over again. The soundtrack to the happiest days of my life (so far).



Spent the evening here, as I always do at least once when I'm back in Edinburgh. It's right in the heart of Rose Street, but it's a little oasis of calm in the craziness that is Rose Street. An occasional stag or hen party end up entering Robertson's by mistake, but they generally last only one or two beers. It's really more like a local. Very old fashioned, in a nice way, inside. I'm suffering today though, as I'm not used to drinking strong European beer in any quantity any more. I must just drink Scottish stuff when I'm back next.



I'm staying at the Travel Inn at Morrison Street again. I always seem to gravitate back to this area when I'm back in Edinburgh, as I spent most of my 20's in this area. I always seem to enjoy the Travel Inn, I stayed in a Travel Inn in London too.

Most of the Stag and Hen parties that end up in Rose Street, with their identical T shirts made for the occasion seem to stay here too, but I never seem to hear them.

There was a fire alarm today which was a bit of a pain in the arse, but we only had to stay outside the hotel for about 10 mins. I was annoyed I missed taking a picture of the fire engine though!

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.

Blog Archive