There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Good Intentions Continue, but I'm scared to be called a Geek!


Despite the jet lag forcing me out of bed at 04.30am this morning, (yes - that's 04.30 am, I was in the office by 06.30am today, that won't happen very often), I continue to be enthusiastic about getting back into Garageband and more music making.

I've been doing some more investigating in the huge ocean of content that is the internet, and in particular, I've been looking at the blogosphere and there are so many interesting, creative people out there. It's in part, a lack of self confidence in my own musical ability that has delayed my efforts in the past, but I think some of a lack of confidence is a cultural thing - I'm finding that my confidence levels are different outside of my native land. I could write at length about my own views about how Scottish children are damaged and held back by aspects of the culture and education system in the UK, but that's a topic for a whole other time. I also wrote a song about it that I'm quite proud of, as it articulates exactly how I feel about that, but there is a lot of old pain in the song too, so I find it hard to listen to. It does it's job quite nicely though, as a cultural, musical statement. It was my first song composed entirely on keyboards too. I may get round to putting my new stuff back on the internet. I need to sort out a branding issue with it first, more on that later.....

I've also been having fun this evening, finding out about software syths, and even better, software organs. There is this great product you can buy for pc or mac and it integrates with your MIDI keyboard and will make sounds like a genuine 60's / 70's Hammond. There is even a setting to make the software Hammond sound like it's new, or like it's been on the road played at gigs for years. Wow - whatever will they think of next.

I must check this out at the weekend, my weekday evenings tend to be a waste of time for doing anything other than watching DVDs or listening to internet radio, such is the tiredness created by work. So all my good intentions tend to be scheduled for the weekend, which can create some pressure / tension.

I've resurrected a song idea that's been bubbling around in my head for years, and I like the sound of it in my imagination. It's about my favourite scene in Star Trek. I found out later that it was the first scene they ever filmed. Captain Christopher Pike and Doctor Philip Boyce are having a chat over a Martini disguised as medicine and Captain Pike has this wonderful dialogue about the his weariness of the responsibility of his job and his longings to be free. It sounds terribly geeky as I write this, writing a song based on Star Trek. I would have to do this on my own, as none of my mates would agree to help me with this! However I'm hoping it won't turn out geeky in actuality. It sounds great as I play the song in my imagination, lets see how it will turn out in reality.

Off for some food and the second episode of Life on Mars, series 2. Let's hope the series is all as good as ep1. Then off to bed at 09.00, I feel another early start coming on tomorrow. Rock 'n roll!

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.

Blog Archive