There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Monday, June 11, 2007

Rat in a box

I've had these lines of dialogue from Blakes Seven rattling round my head all day. They are from "Shadow", which was episode 2 of the second series. It has some great Chris Boucher written lines:

"Villa - Orac, Orac are you in there Orac?
Orac - Am I in where? What exactly do you imagine I am, some kind of tame rodent in a cage?
Villa - That's precisely what I imagine you are, a rat in a box"

Well, I suppose they only got Orac on the last episode of the first season, so Villa wasn't really to be expected to know how he worked. I've lived here for 2 years and a month now, and I'm still not sure how the air conditioning controller works, and Orac was a talking super computer with cool flashing lights.

Having been a tremendously indoorsy child, I hated the pressure to go out and do something I didn't want to do, like playing football, and I've found that in adulthood, and particularly since the wonderweb really got going, you can disappear into cyberspace sometimes. Add to that, working from home over the wonderweb too, and you can just spend too, too much time in the apartment. I really feel good about leaving the car sitting doing nothing and not contributing to global warming by making journeys I don't need to, but being stuck in one place all the time has it's downsides too.


So, having had enough of the apartment, I just made my first visit to the outside world since Saturday and I'm really pleased to say there is a wonderful world of California out there still. I'm going to go in the office tomorrow even though I don't really have to. This rat is released.

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.