There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Friday, June 15, 2007

New Challenge and 100th Post


As I reach my 100th post in the blog, I've given myself a new challenge. Due to the CONTINUAL crashing of the Rapidfrustration web creation tool, I have taken Mike's advice and decided to re-do the kirkcaldybands.comn website using a much more basic HTML web creation tool, and to stop messing about with these horrible GUI tools that just crash all the time. I just got the above book, and from a quick scan it actually does not look too difficult. All that funny code put me off before, I'm not a computer programmer after all. But the code I've read so far seems pretty easy to understand , so here goes - a new project for this weekend. I think I'll be staying here in the apartment most of the weekend as it's bloody hot out there and it's making me feel sleepy.

I need to be able to re-do the site soon though, as the Kirkcaldy Bands Treasure Hunt has uncovered it's most interesting find to date. More of that in the news section of that site. Some audio of a legendary Kirkcaldy punk hand has been found, they were the godfathers of them all!

5 comments:

magnusmog said...

does the label at the bottom give away the secret ?

Tom said...

could be.....

Michael Laing said...

I can't claim to be a great expert on HTML, but if you get stuck or need any advice, feel free to e-mail me.

I think you're right about web-site-creation tools tending to generate a lot of unnecessary code. I've tried downloading what appear to be fairly basic-looking web pages and clicking on 'view source' to look at the HTML code, and I've been unable to make head nor tail of it. However, by writing your own, you'll only put in as much as you need to make the thing work. There was a fair bit of trial and error involved, but it only took me a couple of weeks to get the first version of my site up and running. You have the advantage that your site's already on-line, so you've already got the layout and navigation worked out and you won't be groping in the dark in that regard.

Tom said...

Thanks. After working on this all day I feel I'm due for a break now. I've learned a huge amount in one day - I'll send you what I've done. What I can't seem to figure out is how to fix the relative positioning of the header blocks and the content blocks. You will see what I mean by the mess that the "history page" is. But, of course, this is the end of the day - so maybe if I look at this tomorrow I will suss it. cheers

magnusmog said...

did you know the Wreckless E and Jackie Leven are playing the Belladrum Festival in the Highlands this August ?

http://www.tartanheartfestival.co.uk/

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.