There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Authentic or what?


I dropped into O'Flaherty's Irish pub tonight. On a Sunday, we have the particularly silly experience of an "Irish" band.


I've seen the band vary from around eight people, to the three they had tonight. One thing remains constant though, the music seems as fake as you can imagine. I'm sure these people have good intentions, but you'd need to have never been within a thousand miles of Ireland to think that the noise these people make was anything to do with Ireland.

Real pubs in Ireland have so much atmosphere you could stick it in a bucket and sell it. Obviously it doesn't travel well though, as the inside of my refrigerator has more atmosphere than this place. And the Stella is over priced and flat.

Friendly advice to Americans - if you want to go to an Irish bar, go to Ireland.


"Reasons to love the Mission Ale House" - the biggest reason is not on this poster. That's the reason that is that it's not trying to be Irish. It's just trying to be a good bar, and that makes it the best bar in San Jose.

3 comments:

Ursula said...

wow - you're wailing on us Americans lately, aren't you? It's not our fault that we don't have pubs with centuries of ambiance to draw on and are giving it our best shot . . . and you know, you don't have to fill those prescriptions just 'cause the doctor writes it for you . . .

Sorry, cranky. Clubbing (80s night!) this weekend has taken a lot out of me. And I wish the weekend wasn't over so soon. BTW: if you want to go clubbing in SF, I'm always looking for running partners.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tom said...

I know but it's an old European tradition to have a go at things. It makes up for having rubbish weather.

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.