There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Sunday, August 5, 2007

ZZZZZZZ and Mr Pod's Movies

After traveling for over 20 hours yesterday, I have now managed to sleep for 15 hours. I think that may be the longest ever sleep. I now have this loud buzzing in my head that I think must be a reaction to the roar of the 'plane's engines for all that time.

Especially as the entertainment was so bad on Lufthansa, I was so grateful or the miracle of technology that is the video iPod.

The films I can remember watching were -

Notes on a Scandal - Wonderful performances by Judi Dench, Cate Blanchett and especially Bill Nighy.
Touching the Void - Great scenery, amazing story, but I was tempted to wonder why anyone would be so keen to volunteer to put themselves in so much danger. I'm not a risk taker in that way myself.
Holywood Ending - Poor Woody Allen having temporarily run out of ideas and, very unusually for Woody, it was too long.
Bullets over Broadway - I thought I hadn't seen this before , but as I got into this I realised I had. Some predictable ideas from Woody Allen but very enjoyable.
Orphans - Very bleak, but great all the same. The ripper had managed to get the subtitles stuck on the "on" position, so I had to have the subtitles that were put on the movie so the Americans could understand Glaswegian switched on all the time. They kept translating "fag" as "smoke".
Heartlands - No subtitles, despite the weird northern english accents. I only wanted to see this one as Mark Kermode said that this was one of the best uses of one of my favorite songs, Wreckless Eric's Whole Wide World, in a movie. It was a nice little low budget UK movie.


New York Doll (the Arthur Kane movie) - The only film I watched on the plane that I was knowingly watching for the second time. One of the saddest, most uplifting, most touching and most bizarre stories in the history of rock and roll. Arthur was a true gent and a much better bass player than he was ever given credit for. I'm still so sad he is no longer with us.
New York Dolls (the reunion gig) - Amazing they could be so good after not playing together for 29 years, only having a week of rehearsal and Arthur's bass only removed from a pawn shop a month before. Good old Morrisey for being the guy who got the Dolls back together again.

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.