There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Foggy San Francisco Afternoon


OK, so this wasn't taken this afternoon. But it's one of my favourite views in the world. For those of you who know the area, this is the bit where you come round the corner on Interstate 280, and suddenly the Business District of San Francisco is in front of you. I also thought that "Celtic Removers" was a great name. Do they just move Celtic people? This photo was my desktop image on my big imac for a long time. It's been replaced by a lovely photo my Dad took of my old car (he still has it) in the snow in the North of Scotland. I get very attached to cars.

However I was in 'Frisco this afternoon. It was glorious here down in the South Bay, but it did it's usual thing around Daly City, and the fog descended. So it was all cold and gloomy around the Presidio where I was. I was at my ex-pat Europeans meeting. This is a great thing. It was started around November 2005, when I was desperate for some social connections. We had a good time and there were some new people there. We got talking about how expressions in one the language of one country can seem strange in another. I find the expression Americans use "break a leg" for "good luck, really strange. I wonder what it's derivation is? Must look it up. I watched a film last week called "Outsourced" about an American guy trying to train up an Indian company to sell tacky American souvenir goods. The American guy said "break a leg" to the Indian call centre manager. The Indian guy was astounded, when the American guy explained it was meant to mean "good luck", the Indian guy replied, "well, I hope you break both your legs"!

My mind was drifting around, on my way back down to the south bay on Interstate 101 (not the most scenic road in this area). I thought it would be great if I had two cats. I'd call one "familiarity" and the other one "contempt". It would be even better of one was a boy cat, and the other a girl cat, then; "Familiarity" could breed "Contempt". The more boring the road, the more bizarre the day dreaming.

Off to do some research on Wikipedia (the font of all knowledge) on nervous breakdowns, then eat the end of last night's Chinese food.

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.