There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin and College Radio


We get a public holiday here today in the US. It seems a funny time to have a public holiday, soon after Christmas. But I'm glad we have it if it's for Martin Luther King.

The older get the more shocked I am about how young some people were when they died, did he really achieve so much in 39 years. Wow, I'm 41 and what have I done?

DSC00305.JPG

DSC00300.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

The photos immediately above was taken on Martin Luther King day 2 years ago, in San Francisco. There are some really nice tributes to him in Yerba Buena Park.

NYC 5.jpg

Silvana also encountered Martin in Newark New Jersey in 1990.



It's only 9.25 AM but I've spent a nice morning so far, listening to my favorite college radio station - Berkeley's KALX. I was so impressed with their programming yesterday that I sent them a donation. Due to the multiple computers we have at home, not being in Berkeley is not a huge issue, as all the big college radio stations now stream live on the internet. This is only a problem in the car, but if you are heading north here, KALX slowly appears out of the static and is only interrupted briefly when a local Christian radio station interferes with it around Daly City - I find this quite disturbing.

I always wonder if KALX is made for current students, or ex-students, as most of the music seems to be programmed to please my generation - Bob Dylan and the Only Ones were played in the same 4 song set yesterday.

To commorate Martin Luther King day today they have been playing songs about him and interspersing this with recordings of his speeches. This seems an unlikely mix, but it worked this morning.

We've just began to tentatively look, but funnily enough, the home of the best radio station in the area may be our home next, as a move to Berkeley is possible. So I can get the live version without internet streaming and cad drive around Berkeley listening to it.



Although, you'd need to have a pretty big aerial in Berkeley, the classic KCRW show, Morning Becomes Eclectic is on just now. They are playing St. Etienne, cool.

It's great to be off work to catch shows I don't hear normally.

Some weblinks, these stations broadcast EVERYWHERE on the internet:

KALX

KCRW

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.