There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Where were you on the day of Live Aid, 1985?




Well, the answer in our case was here! Steve Ellis's party July 13 1985 Ramsay Road Kirkcaldy.

This was my friend Steve Ellis's parents party. Of course, the true significance of Live Aid can only be judged with over 20 years hindsight - it was a big thing on the day, but I'm sure it's significance got bigger over the years.

I remember watching the afternoon stuff live, I loved Queen so much, I even made a donation! I remember catching live Bob Geldoff's classic - "fuck the address, there are people dying now, so get on the bloody phone" - funny how that didn't make the DVD! Some people I know taped the whole thing, it'd be fun to get a copy to see all the continuity etc. The DVDs miss a whole lot of the fun.

So whilst Madonna was gyrating around, we were at this party. Most of my friends from my year at school were there - Ian Grayson, Steve Ellis, Steve McIntosh and Steve Bruce.

I was fascinated with video cameras at the time, but owning one was a distant, far off dream. Steve Ellis's Dad always has so much cool stuff though, and he is behind the camera here.

A funny little snapshot of 22 years ago.

Later at the party, I remember having a few beers and trying to play the Genesis rarity (from around the time of their first album) "One Eyed Hound", and no one really understanding what it was meant to be. Glad that never made it onto video.

I've got one of my trademark black shirts on here and a "I've got it made in Hong Kong" T shirt, I think they were British Airways promotional T Shirts my Mum won.

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.