There are some real people in the world, and some who are pretend.

Me

Me
(a long time ago)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

I love Open Work!

DSC00676.JPG

Despite some of the frustrations, one of the reasons I stay with Sun Microsystems is the wonderful Openwork policy. As one of my old boss's explained to me once, if you have an internet connection and phone, you can work anywhere.

I like to collect bizarre places I have worked for Sun, this must top them all. I took my laptop along to the garage as they can often do oil changes while you wait. I took the laptop as something to keep me amused and, not unreasonably, to do some work as I think I was still there in what was technically a "work hour". I couldn't figure out where the waiting room was, so ended up sitting in the showroom. I clicked on the iBook's wireless settings, more in hope than expectation that a network would appear, and it did - and also in the name of Falore Nissan, the name of the garage dealership.

So - hooray for Falore Nissan who are actually a nice Nissan dealership (miles better than the shite service I got at San Jose's Capitol Nissan where I bought the car) and hooray for Sun's Openwork policy. My only minor disappointment is that no one approached me and asked me to sell them a car! I have also worked from an Edinburgh Laundrette and a Dutch motorway in the past, but I'm not sure if they count as neither had wireless internet.

No comments:

Tom's blog about life in America as a Scottish person, appreciating and making music, politics, travel, my own philosophy and other stuff not easy to categorise.


About Me

My photo
Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom
I'm a 40 something Scottish person who lives in the USA. I'm also an aspiring part time musician and songwriter.